There are certain substances commonly found in and around the home that can pose a high toxicity risk to pets, below is a list of the most common products that can put your pet at risk of being poisoned.
Battery acid: A highly dangerous chemical that can irritate and even eat through the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract. EXTREMELY toxic to pets.
Bleach: This chemical poses a threat to skin, mucous membranes, and the gastrointestinal tract.
Drain cleaner: This is caustic to the skin, mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal tract. Extremely harmful chemicals, even more so if an area is not well-ventilated. Antifreeze: A toxic chemical in Antifreeze is Ethylene glycol and is a common poison in dogs. Unfortunately, pets in particular, dogs, find Antifreeze tastes good. Even if they ingest small amounts, it can be very toxic and can lead to death.
Drugs and medications: If your pet get’s their paws on your prescription, over-the-counter drugs, this can be very harmful to them and can cause death in some cases.
Household cleaners and detergents: The dangers are clear when a pet comes into contact with household cleaners, the cocktail of chemicals in every product can cause serious problems if ingested, inhaled, or in contact with skin.
Nail polish/nail polish remover (acetone): Away from and causing discomfort and pain by polish coming into contact with your pets fur, the fumes are potentially harmful as well. Glue: It’s no surprise that glue is dangerous to your pet, it can cause a number of things such as poisoning, skin and mucous membrane irritation, and gastrointestinal obstruction.
Pesticides: With a variety of types of pesticides out there, many can irritate the skin, mucous membranes, and GI tract.
Rat Poison: Rodenticide toxicity is a common poison in dogs. If your pet ingests rat poison it can have truly harmful effects and is extremely toxic, it’s best to avoid using it in your home at all